The New York State Constitutional Convention Clearinghouse
Information Related to New York's Nov. 7, 2017 Constitutional Convention Referendum
Organizational Endorsements and Advocacy
on the November 7, 2017 Referendum
- *Citizens Union. Principal: Dick Dadey. Bio: Executive Direct of Citizens Union. Dedicated convention website: Vote Yes For A New York State Constitutional Convention; press release announcing the launch of this website sent on June 27, 2017.
- ChangeNYS.org. Principal: James Coll. Bio: Adjunct professor of American and Constitutional history at Hofstra University.
- Committee for a Constitutional Convention. Principal: Evan Davis. Bio: Senior Counsel Cleary Gottlieb, former Counsel to Governor Mario Cuomo, President of the Association of the Bar of the City of New York and Vice Chair of Columbia University Board.
- *Forward March New York. Principal: Claire Chapman, President.
- *League of Women Voters of New York State. Principal: Ms. Dare Thompson, President..
- New Kings Democrats. Principal: Anusha Venkataraman. New Kings Democrats is a progressive, grassroots political organization committed to bringing transparency, accountability, and inclusionary democracy to the Kings County Democratic Party.
- LegalWeed4NY. See also Cannabis4ny.org. Principal: Jerome W. Dewald. Bio: Partner in the marketing research firm, Awesomepova Research, which studies marketing and social media in the cannabis space; and Executive Director of Tax and Regulate NY State 2019, which seeks to place a constitutional amendment legalizing adult-use cannabis before the New York voters through a state constitutional convention. Facebook page.
- Long Island Association. Principal: Kevin Law, President.
- *New York State Bar Association. Principal: Sharon Stern Gerstman, President.
- *New York City Bar Association. Principal: John S. Kiernan, President.
- *People’s Convention. Principal: Bill Samuels. Bio: Host of “Effective Radio with Bill Samuels”, which airs live for two hours every month. on AM970. Samuels has also put together a New York People’s Convention PAC (e.g., see ad for Digital Director, May 5, 2017) and the New York Says Yes website.
- New Yorkers Against Corruption. On June 19, 2017, NYSUT issued a press release listing the coalition members supporting the website. The Facebook page linked to New Yorkers Against Corruption was published around May 27, 2017. The website was published anonymously around April 12, 2017.
- Adirondack Mountain Club. Principal: Neil Woodworth, CEO and Executive Director of the Adirondack Mountain Club.
- American Federation of Teachers. Principal: Randi Weingarten. Longtime president of the AFT who has funded and orchestrated no campaigns across the United States during the past decade.
- Conservative Party of New York State. Principal: Michael R. Long. Chair of the Conservative Party of New York State.
- *CSEA (Local 1000 AFSCME, AFL-CIO). Principal: Danny Donahue, President.
- Empire Government Strategies (under the URL NYConCon.info). Principal: Jerry Kremer, president of Empire Government Strategies and a former 13-term (1966-1988) New York State Assembly legislator. Kremer promotes Empire Government Strategies as “the most effective government relations firm in New York State.”
- Enterprise Association of Steamfitters Local 638. Principal: Patrick Dolan Jr., President.
- Independent Democratic Conference. Chaired by Senator Jeff Klein (D-Bronx/Westchester) and including Senator Marisol Alcantara, (D-Manhattan), Senator Diane Savino (D-SI/Brooklyn), Senator Jesse Hamilton (D-Brooklyn), and Senator Jose Peralta (D-Queens). See Unions and Independent Democratic Conference members stand together against national right-to-work legislation and release four-point protection plan for New York State workers, press release from office of Senator Jeff klein, February 10, 2017, and the accompanying report, Union Strong. “In opposing a Constitutional Convention, the IDC will work with labor to educate voters of the potential consequences of such an event, including the influence of outside special interests to push anti-worker amendments as well as the cost to taxpayers.”
- *New York State Public Employees Federation (PEF). Principal: Wayne Spence, President.
- New York Civil Liberties Union. Principal: Donna Lieberman, Executive Director.
- NoNewYorkConvention.org. This was the original umbrella group no coalition website, but no sponsor/principal was disclosed as of June 12, 2017. This was replaced by New Yorkers Against Corruption (see above).
- *NYSUT. Principal: Andrew Pallotta, President.
- United University Professions